Advanced Hebrew Readings
June 26 – August 2, 2019
(Wednesdays & Fridays 8:00–10:10a)
Proficiency in reading the Hebrew Bible comes only by habitual practice. This course aims to develop the students’ reading ability by providing a learning environment that solidifies previously acquired skills and improves dexterity in pronunciation, translation, vocabulary, and grammar. Becoming a proficient reader will expedite one’s sermon preparation and Bible study. Course offerings for MDiv or ThM credit, with different expectations and requirements. Prerequisite: Hebrew Exegetical Method 2.
As a result of taking this course, the student should be able to:
1) Read aloud any portion of the Hebrew Bible with increased proficiency
2) Provide oral translations of assigned passages from the Hebrew Scripture
3) Produce typed translations of selected excerpts using a Hebrew lexicon
4) Demonstrate a mastery of core Hebrew vocabulary
5) Identify the common grammatical elements of the Hebrew Bible.
- 30% – Oral Reading
- 10% – Textbook Reading
- 20% – Grammar and Vocabulary Quizzes
- 25% – Typed Translations
- 15% – Final Exam